Never ask someone why they’re single. Why? It puts them on the spot and, more importantly, it pretty clearly insinuates that being single is a bad thing. Being single is NOT a bad thing. There are plenty of dysfunctional people in relationships and marriages, trust me.
If you’re single, I’m sure you’ve had someone ask you this annoying question. How should you handle it?
First, never go on the defensive. You have nothing to defend! The more people see that you feel sheepish about being single, the more they’ll hassle you. Get comfy in your singleness and recognizes the freedom and independence that come with it. Shrug and say you enjoy being single. Or say confidently that you’re dating and hoping to meet the right person. When I was single, I rarely got this question. I feel pretty strongly it was because I truly enjoyed and embraced being single. Did I want to find someone? Sure! But I was comfortable in my own skin and never felt like being single was liability, and people picked up on that fact.
If you get this question a lot, especially from people you don’t know or don’t really like all that much, try responding with humor. The suggestions below come from Julia McCurley, an Austin-based matchmaker who works with single people full time. Numbers 9 and 15 are my LOL favorites!
1. What? And spoil my great sex life?
2. Why aren’t YOU dating/divorced yet?
3. It gives my mother/father something to live for.
4. I’m not willing to give up on love just yet.
5. Just lucky, I guess.
6. I already have enough laundry to do, thank you.
7. Is this a proposal?
8. Because I think it would take all the spontaneity out of dating.
9. I’m waiting for you to get divorced so I can marry your wife/husband.
10. It didn’t seem worth a blood test.
11. The mail order bride/groom hasn’t arrived from Russia yet.
12. I’m not done “boozing and whoring.”
13. Because having both a husband and a child would be redundant.
14. I’d have to forfeit my billion dollar trust fund.
15. I’m waiting for your son/daughter to turn 18.
Join in the conversation! How do YOU handle this annoying question?